Alkaline citrates are powerful all-rounders in natural medicine. They can be used for deacidification, but also for the optimization of mineral supply and just as in therapy, for example in kidney stones, high blood pressure or osteoporosis. Citrates are organic mineral compounds with basic properties. They have a high bioavailability and can easily be absorbed and used by the body. The base citrates include magnesium citrate, potassium citrate, calcium citrate or zinc citrate.
Alkaline Citrates and their applications
With base citrates, you can achieve at least two goals at the same time: you effectively neutralize and provide yourself with basic minerals. This is possible because base citrates consist of two components: basic minerals (eg potassium, magnesium, calcium) and basic salts (citrates).
Among the Alkaline Citrates include the potassium , the magnesium , the calcium citrate or zinc citrate. These are natural mineral compounds that occur in this form in food and the human body, which is why they can be very well absorbed and recycled.
1. Optimization of mineral supply
If you have an increased need for minerals (for example, in stressful situations, during pregnancy , illness, as an athlete, or during recovery periods), base citrates help to meet this higher demand without any problem.
Alkaline Citrates also provides a straightforward solution if you think your diet provides too few minerals. With citrates, such a shortcoming can be remedied quickly. You may also already suffer from unspecific symptoms (tiredness, difficulty concentrating, headache, hair loss, etc.), which may always indicate a sub-optimal vital substance supply. Alkaline Citrates preparations, which consist of a mixture of the most important minerals and trace elements, can lead to a quick recovery here.
Below is a brief overview of the most important properties and effects of minerals contained in base citrate preparations. (If you already know this, scroll straight to 2.):
Potassium is mostly (unlike sodium) inside the body’s cells. The daily requirement of an adult is now given as 4000 mg (formerly only 2000 mg), making it increasingly difficult to meet this need with nutrition alone:
- Potassium regulates – together with sodium – the water balance in the body.
- Potassium takes care of nerve function and muscle control.
- Potassium lowers high blood pressure , especially if the high blood pressure is also caused by too much sodium (salt), since plenty of potassium lowers the sodium level.
- Potassium reduces the risk of stroke because high blood pressure can increase the risk of stroke.
- Potassium can reduce kidney stone risk by making urine alkaline, which neutralizes acids that would otherwise drive kidney stone formation. It also prevents excessive excretion of calcium, which could otherwise crystallize into kidney stones.
- Potassium is therefore very important for the bones. Because if potassium prevents the excretion of too much calcium through the urine, the calcium can be incorporated into the bones.
The magnesium requirement is 300 to 400 mg per day. Among other things, magnesium is involved in more than 300 enzymatic metabolic reactions, which shows that the tasks and functions of this important mineral substance can not even be nearly completely listed. Here is just a selection:
- Magnesium relaxes the muscles and is therefore used for the therapy and prevention of muscle cramps (eg calf cramps ).
- However, magnesium also relaxes the muscles in the heart and in the blood vessel walls, which is why it is an important mineral for the prevention of many cardiovascular problems.
- Magnesium is THE anti-stress mineral because it inhibits the release of stress hormones and calms the nerves.
- Magnesium is an important component of bones and teeth. Yes, most of the body magnesium is in the bones, activating the bone-forming cells there.
- Magnesium activates vitamin D – the bone vitamin – and is therefore responsible for a good vitamin D effect .
- Magnesium increases the insulin sensitivity of the cells and therefore prevents diabetes.
- Magnesium has anti-inflammatory properties and is therefore necessary for any chronic problem associated with chronic inflammation.
Calcium is largely contained in the bones (99 percent). Only 1 percent is distributed to the blood and other tissues. The daily requirement is 1000 to 1200 mg. Details about calcium can be found here: calcium and calcium deficiency
- Calcium is essential for bone and dental health.
- Calcium is involved in the regulation of blood clotting.
- Calcium, together with magnesium, is responsible for healthy muscle and nerve function.
- Calcium is needed for a healthy digestion.
Zinc is a trace element and therefore – in contrast to the other three minerals mentioned – in much smaller amounts daily required (about 10 mg). Details about zinc and its functions can be found here: Zinc deficiency
- Zinc is responsible for a healthy skin and healthy mucous membranes and therefore accelerates healing processes of all kinds.
- Zinc strengthens the immune system and prevents increased susceptibility to infection.
- Zinc strengthens hair and promotes hair growth.
- Zinc is a component of the body’s own detoxification enzymes and therefore involved in poison evacuation.
- Zinc is important for fertility. It increases (in the presence of zinc deficiency) sperm quality in men and corrects women’s cycle disorders.
It can be seen from the mentioned effects and properties of minerals that a deficiency of these minerals can lead to serious complaints. Mineral substances in the form of base citrates can therefore be used therapeutically in many diseases and health problems:
2. Remedy of mineral deficiencies
Mineral deficiencies can be manifested in acute complaints, as well as in creeping chronic diseases. These can be frequent muscle cramps or migraine attacks due to magnesium deficiency, a high susceptibility to infection or dry skin due to zinc deficiency, indigestion or even an already dwindling bone density due to calcium deficiency or cardiac arrhythmia due to potassium deficiency.
Many chronic diseases – whether diabetes , osteoporosis , kidney stones, cardiovascular complaints, ADHD or dementia – arise at least partially due to a lack of minerals. Fixing the corresponding defect, the symptoms often improve noticeably. The gift of minerals and trace elements should therefore be part of any holistic therapy concept – of course always dependent on personal condition and in consultation with the doctor or alternative practitioner. Here are some examples:
With tendency to kidney stones
With tendency to kidney stones also in the conventional medicine to Citraten is seized frequently. They increase the pH of the urine and thereby reduce the formation of stones . A natural source of citrate is citrus fruit (and other fruits), which can be consumed more at the risk of kidney stone formation.
In diabetes, it is recommended to use magnesium, which is particularly well tolerated as a citrate. For details read: Magnesium deficiency and diabetes . Magnesium enhances the action of insulin, increases the insulin sensitivity of cells and is required for healthy insulin production in the pancreas.
Not only a magnesium deficiency may increase the risk of diabetes, even too low potassium intake (such as a review article from 2011 showed), so that should never be thought of only one mineral in diabetes, but always at an all around good mineral supply.
For osteoporosis and diminishing bone density
How well base citrates affect bone health, we have already explained here ( acidification from a scientific point of view ) on the basis of various studies. For example, in November 2006, a Swiss study showed that supplementation with base citrates (potassium citrates) may help menopausal women to increase their bone density. The potassium citrate in this study has reduced urinary calcium excretion. The researchers wrote at the time: “Bone density can be […] increased significantly over the daily base intake in the form of potassium citrate […]”, which was confirmed in 2015 by researchers from the University of Surrey in a meta-analysis on this topic.
For high blood pressure
For hypertension , the most important advice in medical nutrition consultation is: reduce sodium, increase potassium. For while sodium – especially in salt-sensitive persons – can increase blood pressure, potassium has an opposite effect here. Potassium causes an increased release of sodium through the urine and thus prevents its hypertensive effect. In addition , potassium dilates the blood vessels and thus lowers the increased blood pressure.
3. Deacidification in the case of chronic hyperacidity
A very common field of use of the base citrate is the chronic hyperacidity , which can be observed very often in today’s lifestyle. One not only eats the wrong, but often too much, too fast or too late in the evening. At the same time you are constantly under stress and suffers from lack of exercise. All these factors lead to too much acid in the metabolism and the organism no longer has sufficient countermeasures (bases) to be able to neutralize the acids.
This is not about hyperacidity in the stomach (heartburn), as many may think at this point, but rather a general disorder of the acid-base balance affecting the whole organism. In the case of hyperacidity, the organism lacks bases, which leads to the accumulation of acid slag in the tissue. Areas that require a basic pH suddenly become acidic (small intestine), and in areas that are supposed to be acidic, the pH rises – in the colon, stomach, or vagina, for example. The hyperacidity extends all the way into the cell, which often no longer manages to dissipate acids and let bases in. The whole body is here in turmoil – and chronic diseases are opened the door.
As you can check whether you are acidified or not, we have explained here: The basal therapy – Therapy and prevention of chronic complaints . If it turns out that acidity is present, the base citrates are a simple, fast and well-tolerated remedy for the deacidification of the organism:
Base citrate for deacidification and increase vitality
While many low-cost deacidifying agents consist only of bicarbonates, such as sodium bicarbonate, which may have numerous unfavorable side effects, deacidification with base citrates is straightforward, effective, and without undesirable side effects.
Hydrogen carbonates, such as soda, can be used at short notice, for example if nothing else is available in an emergency – eg. in acute heartburn . For a deacidification of the body, the kurweise z. However, if carried out over four weeks, baking soda is not suitable.
Soda neutralized especially the stomach, that neutralizes stomach acid. However, since gastric acid fulfills important tasks in the digestive process, indigestion can now occur in the long term. In addition, if the existing stomach acid is neutralized again and again, the organism must always strive to regenerate new gastric acid. To be on the safe side, he makes a little more stomach acid each time, which can even aggravate some complaints.
Due to the reaction of soda with the stomach acid also produces much salt (sodium chloride), which can burden the organism or disturb the mineral balance. Again, the body has to counter regulate, so that he gets more work with soda as help.
The benefits of base citrate
The benefits of base citrate are obvious. The most important advantage is that they do not deacidify the stomach, but directly into the cell and into the tissue, where they lead to a comprehensive intra- and extracellular deacidification. Intracellular stands for the interior of the cell, extracellular for the space outside the cell.
1. Alkaline Citrates does not affect gastric acidity
Base citrates do not neutralize stomach acid. Therefore, they do not disturb the digestive processes in the stomach and do not lead to the corresponding indigestion, as it may be the case with bicarbonates. Base citrates do not stimulate gastric acid formation. On the contrary, they help to regulate gastric acid formation in the long term.
2. Base citrates do not make the naturally acidic intestine basic
Base citrates unlike natron DO NOT raise the naturally slightly acidic pH in actually acidic intestinal sections. If they – like soda – also shift the intestinal pH into the alkaline, this would affect the healthy digestion in the intestine and also negatively affect the local intestinal flora.
3. Base citrates are easily absorbed
Alkaline Citrates are absorbed in the intestine very easily, lighter than any other mineral compound and are therefore particularly well suited to quickly eliminate a mineral deficiency or to quickly achieve a therapeutic effect.
4. Base citrates enter directly into the cell
Base citrates are very easily introduced into the cell metabolism. There they bind acids and are processed in the cell’s own citrate metabolism.
5. Base citrates leave no slags
Base citrates are degraded without harmful metabolic waste products.
6. Base citrates supply with minerals
While the citrate is used directly for deacidification and metabolised accordingly, the basic minerals remain in the cell, in the tissue or wherever they are needed.
Acid accumulation of cells prevents successful deacidification
In some cases, some of the cells may not be able to deacidify with base citrates. One speaks of a so-called acid accumulation. The cells are here after a lasting for many years lasting hyperacidity in a kind of blockade. The cell metabolism does not work anymore. Nutrients can not be absorbed as well, no bases. And acids and other metabolic degradation products can not be so well diverted.
The cell must first be freed from its acid accumulation. This is possible with the base concentrates – as we have described here: base concentrates – the secret of the right deacidification . The ingestion of the base concentrate is best done by the cure – BEFORE reaching for the base citrates.
Buy base citrates – Pay attention to quality
If you want to buy base citrates, look for the following criteria:
- The product should contain various citrates: magnesium citrate, potassium citrate, zinc citrate and calcium citrate.
- Sodium should not be included as this mineral is usually present in the usual diet due to the salt content (sodium chloride) anyway in much too high amounts.
- Calcium and magnesium should be present in a balanced ratio of 2: 1 (calcium: magnesium).
- Zinc is added because this trace element participates directly in the regulation of the acid-base balance via a special mechanism. Without zinc, the enzyme carbonic anhydrase would not work. Carbonic anhydrase, in turn, is important for maintaining blood pH. Carbonic anhydrase is also involved in the regulation of the acid-base balance in the kidney.
- High-quality products also provide silicon, a trace element that cares for a healthy, elastic yet strong connective tissue, healthy bones and beautiful hair, and – most importantly – prevents aluminum from being absorbed.
- Also, vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 may be included in a basic citrate products. We recommend to make sure that the vitamins are of plant origin (vitamin D3 from lichens) and that the product is vegan. Many manufacturers still supply vitamin D3 from animal sources (wool wax from sheep), so that their base citrates may only carry the vegetarian label.
- Because citrates are naturally contained in citrus fruits, some manufacturers – to mimic nature – add lemon flavor, which is understandably anything but natural. On the other hand, it makes more sense to use natural lemon powder, so that the base citrate product not only contains the citrates from the fruits, but also the other accompanying substances from the fruit.
- Of course, the product should not only be flavor-free, but also free of sugar, sweeteners, titanium dioxide and other unnecessary additives.
If you are already taking a nutritional supplement, such as For example, if you are taking zinc supplements or a vitamin D3 / vitamin K2 supplement, then check the dose so that you do not get oversupplied if you’re taking in addition to base citrates. Adjust the dose of your dietary supplement accordingly.
In the case of neutralization, of course, attention should be paid to a healthy excess of the base , so that the organism is not burdened with other acids.